[llvm-dev] JIT compiler, Windows, external functions like cos

Stefan Gränitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 2 12:18:23 PST 2019

Hi Marcus

If I understand correctly, you are creating a module with a declaration
for an external function. Then you compile and load the module with the
ExecutionEngine JIT interface. The loader is supposed to resolve your
declaration to an existing definition in the host program, right? Do you
get the error message "Program used external function '...' which could
not be resolved!"?

There is a variety of potential reasons here. The mystery that it works
for sqrt, but not for cos or sin, may be that something in your host
program exposes a definition with its unmangled name only for sqrt,
while the others are mangled or not exposed at all. After all, your host
program links to the C++ stdlib, which provides multiple versions of all
these functions with different signatures!

In general, using host-process symbols directly can be dangerous and
hard to debug. Basically, you are relying on details of your host
compiler and linker. The correct way may be adding another module with
the stdlib implementation that your JITed code should use. The simplest
way may be keeping the host-process calls, but expose your own wrappers
explicitly by address. Using the Orc JIT interface directly, a QND
implementation with LLVM 5.0 looked like this:
https://github.com/weliveindetail/JitFromScratch/commit/e9988a834dd6c35c93268da6ece73a7cc472100a

Note that on Windows you want to declare the wrappers as: extern "C"
__declspec(dllexport)

> After many trials and errors we found out that no LLVM example works
> (“4. Kaleidoscope: Adding JIT and Optimizer Support”, “The Fibonacci
> project“). [...] It seems that the LLVM JIT compiler cannot find
> external functions like “sin” and “cos” nor intrinsic functions under
> Windows. Every (tutorial) example crashes using them.
I can imagine this doesn't get tested so much on Windows.

Best
Stefan