[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 27 13:58:06 PST 2019

> On Feb 22, 2019, at 11:40 AM, David Greene <dag at cray.com> wrote:
>

>> - Local variables and formal parameters should be lower_case, with
>>  one exception: Variables/parameters that have lambda/function
>>  type should follow the function-name spelling rules.
>
> "lower_case" is a pretty drastic change from CamelCase and camelCase.
> So far the only argument for it I've seen is, "lldb uses it all over the
> place."  Having one subproject drive the standard for everything else
> seems backward.  It's certainly possible I missed other opinions on this
> though.

FWIW, I agree.  LLDB has always been a vast outlier from the rest of the LLVM project, owing to the project origins (which aren’t relevant to the discussions at hand).  I don’t think that its conventions should be highly prioritized unless they are obviously and objectively better.

In this case, the different between variable_names and TypeNames seems completely indefensible.

-Chris