[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Linker feature for automatically partitioning a program into multiple binaries

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 26 20:37:16 PST 2019

I've long wanted a related-but-different form of this sort of thing.

What I want is to be able to statically link _independent_ binaries (either
executables or shared libraries), which happen to depend on a lot of the
same code. And, then, to save space by reducing the amount of duplicated
code between them.

The way I imagined it is that it if I link two programs, the linker would
emit three resulting files: Program 1, Program 2, and a shared-library
containing the common code.

As input, I'd give the linker, separately, the lists of objects/libraries
to go into Program 1, and those to go into Program 2. It would do its
normal static archive search/object-file-selection process separately for
each list. After collecting the object file lists, any objects that ended
up used both in #1 and #2 would go into the shared-library, while the
others would go into their own separate programs.

(Note that this then causes static initializers to end up being
run/included in the expected programs in the same way as with plain static
linking.)

Finally, gc-sections should do its graph coloring starting only from the
entry-points of the two programs, but also coloring through into the
automatic shared library. In the end, the shared library should only
contain functions that are used by at least one of the programs. (As I
described it, this mechanism would leave functions used only by one program
that came from an object file used by both programs in the shared-lib.
Alternatively, the graph coloring could possibly determine the target
location of the function, too)

Without any new loader hacks, you'd still have some additional overhead,
but since the symbol names in the automatic shared library are irrelevant
(other than needing to be unique), they can be shortened to reduce the
string-table overhead and reduce the risk of external-usage.

In the end, you'd have two completely normal binaries, which use a normal
shared object -- but the shared lib was auto-generated, with meaningless
private symbols, only exporting the minimum set of symbols it needs to in
order to let the dynamic loader load it into the exact programs it was
compiled for.