[llvm-dev] RFC for f18+runtimes in LLVM

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 26 08:58:43 PST 2019

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> Notably, it has a strong tendancy to create tension. You want some ADT
> or support library in LLVM to work well with your C++17 code. But it
> is C++11. Every time this has been done in the past, the result has
> been that generically useful tools and libraries get added to the
> subproject rather than to LLVM as a whole.

Building on this, there was some discussion months ago on flang-dev
about f18 tooling and whether it could integrate with existing clang
libraries.  Whatever became of that?  I recall some references to
earlier iterations of flang that successfully extended clang's AST to
handle Fortran and thereby leveraged much of the existing great clang
tooling infrastructure.

My sense of f18 is that it is very much a "ground up" implementation and
doesn't make use of any of the existing clang infrastructure.  It would
be a real shame to have two completely separate projects that provide
many of the same services.  It seems like a good idea to have a
conversation about f18 tooling before we add f18 as a subproject and
have to support two independent tooling efforts.

                               -David