[llvm-dev] RFC for f18+runtimes in LLVM

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 25 10:40:47 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 1:06 PM Stephen Scalpone via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Our request would be to get a waiver for the C++11 requirement based on
> the fact that we're skating to where the puck will be.  In the meantime,
> because F18 only exists as a stand-alone program, early adopters would
> still have a useful parser and analyzer for Fortran.

+1. The reasons why we haven't yet switched LLVM to c++17 do not apply to a
brand new frontend, since it's effectively all about not disrupting current
users, and a brand new frontend does not yet have those.

So, IMO, there's no reason f18 cannot have more stringent requirements at
the time of its introduction, and then going forward it should follow along
with the rest of the project's minimum toolchain requirements, after those
eventually meet and surpass f18's initial requirements.