[llvm-dev] Making LLD PDB generation faster

Alexandre Ganea via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 24 08:18:27 PST 2019

Leonardo, to answer to your questions, yes to all of them  You can take a
look at this prototype/proposal: https://reviews.llvm.org/D55585

Overall, computing ghashes in parallel at link-time and merging Types with them
is less costly that the current approach to merging. The 35sec you’re seeing
for merging should go down to about 15sec. The patch doesn’t parallelize
(yet) the Type merging itself, but we have an alternate multithread-suitable
implementation of DenseHash which already supports lockless, wait-free,
insert/fetch/resize.

The prototype allows for testing different hashing algorithms, and indeed
xxHash seems to be the best general-purpose choice. I’ve also added support
for more specialized hardware-based hashes, like Casey Muratori’s Meow Hash
(uses hardware AES SSE 4.2 instructions), which brings the figures down a bit.

Future changes could write back the computed ghash stream back to OBJs if
/INCREMENTAL is specified (just an idea). Incrementally linking will be faster
that way when working with MSVC OBJs.

As for creating PDBs for independent projects, that would help most likely.
However the ghash stream would need to be stored in the PDB in that case
(currently, ghashes are dropped after merging). That could help when using
rarely compiled projects, used along with network caches.

I will start sending smaller patches to converge towards the functionally of
the prototype above.

Best,
Alex.