[llvm-dev] Clarification on expectations of buildbot email notifications

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 21 09:06:41 PST 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 8:26 PM Philip Reames via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> +1 to Justin's comment
>
> The only standard for revert should be: it's broken, and here's a
> reproducer.  Nothing else should matter.

+1 here.

With only some wiggle room for "is this regression only in some esoteric
mode that only this person/group cares about & it's unreasonable to expect
other people to care about/be able to reproduce" (even something like: I
can only reproduce this while running on certain hardware, where it's
unreasonable to expect someone else to have that hardware - then it gets
into weird cases where the esoteric hardware owner can reasonable slow down
the rest of the project by having a patch reverted while they investigate,
or if they should take the cost of having their branch broken while they
investigate & the project continues on regardless, to some degree)

> ... says the person w/a ton of internal regression testing which
> regularly finds crashes upstream, and is terrified of the implied effort
> of having to engage each author of a broken patch individually while
> being unable to ship or see what other breakage is coming in.
> Admittedly, self serving perspective.  :)
>
> Philip
>
> p.s. Speaking personally, I actually *prefer* having a patch of mine
> simply reverted w/o discussion when there's a problem.  This way there's
> no expectation of timely response on my side, and if I happen to be out
> of office, or on vacation, I can get to it when I get back and have
> time.  I do expect to be *informed* of the revert of course.

Yeah, I'm of two minds about this personally - I personally get frustrated
(but honestly, it's probably as much frustrattion with myself than anyone
else) when a patch is reverted for relatively trivial reasons - like a
mistyped CHECK line (oh, this should have "requires: asserts"? OK). I'd
personally appreciate some courtesy from folks - and tend to extend the
same in return (you broke the -Werror build? Oh, I'll just add that
cast-to-void to fix your unused variable warning in non-asserts builds,
etc).

- Dave