[llvm-dev] kaleidoscope ch4 jit example regression?

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 20 16:50:34 PST 2019

Ok. For the curious: The problem is that ORCv2 did away with symbol
resolvers in favor of fixed symbol tables with resolution rules intended to
match the static and dynamic linkers. That gave us a structure with which
we could coordinate concurrent compilation, but took away our ability to
arbitrarily hide old definitions (which is what we were relying on in the
tutorial).

In the short term I think we can hack around this by detecting symbol
clashes (DuplicateDefinition errors) in the KaleidoscopeJIT class and
starting a new JITDylib each time we see one: Duplicate symbols within a
dylib are not allowed, but duplicate symbols in *different* dylibs are.
Then we just search our dylibs from last to first when resolving.

In the long term we would like a way to rename or delete symbol table
entries (without deleting their underlying memory). This is probably still
a little way off: deleting / renaming in the context of concurrent
compilation is tricky.

Cheers,
Lang.