[llvm-dev] RFC: changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase

Michael Platings via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 19 08:42:10 PST 2019

Alex Bradbury <asb at lowrisc.org> wrote:
> IMHO if we're going to live
> with mixed styles for years (which would be the case if there were no
> concerted conversion effort) then the advantages of changing naming
> convention are outweighed by the disadvantages by quite some way

The specific concern I've seen raised is that when writing code you'll need to check which form of variable name is used in a particular scope.

Clearly this is a cost, but given that code is read many times more than it is written, I submit that this as a cost worth bearing for the sake of making it easy to write good variable names.

If you see other costs then I'd be interested to know what those are.