[llvm-dev] [RFC] Potential extension to asm statement functionality

Snider, Todd via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 13 09:40:24 PST 2019

The proposed "lbl" constraint below:
   __asm __volatile__ ("\t.global\t%0\n%0:\n" : "lbl" (my_hook_fcn));

is not quite a "No Touchie!" constraint, but it does allow the user to set the isNotDuplicable flag on the INLINEASM that comes out of the asm statement in order to circumvent optimizations like Tail Duplication.  But setting the isNotDuplicable flag is not really enough. If the function that contains the "lbl" constrained asm statement is inlined into a function in the same compilation unit, the compiler will error out with a symbol redefinition error.

We may need something on the level of a "No Touchie!" constraint.

Perhaps a new builtin function that resolves to a global label definition is a better alternative for this use case?

~ Todd