[llvm-dev] changing variable naming rules in LLVM codebase

Björn Pettersson A via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 13 01:26:27 PST 2019

“CE” was just an example of a less common acronym. I think such an acronym
can be used for various purposes, so it is probably quite local in the code what it
stands for.
We also have other (I think more common) acronyms like TLI for
TargetLoweringInfo, or MF for MachineFunction.

As Krzystzof were saying “Long names should be used where
meaning needs to be conveyed, otherwise they just obfuscate the code
needlessly.”
Having to write out targetLoweringInfo instead of the short form TLI
everywhere would probably obfuscate things (lots of long lines, line splits)
rather than making things easier to read/understand.

FWIW, there is a proposal in the RFC, and the coding standard still say that
acronyms may be used. I still haven’t seen any answers about what the
“correct way” would be when using an acronym if the RFC is accepted.
I’ve only seen answers about _not_ using acronyms, but that has not part
of the RFC afaict.

My point was that the RFC need to be clear about what to do with the
acronyms if we go down that path.

/Björn