[llvm-dev] Compiling GNU C Library (glibc) with llvm

Kristina Brooks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 9 23:34:57 PST 2019

There's a fork of glibc in the Sourceware repo that's known to work for at least somewhat being build-able with
Clang/LLVM. Not sure how stable it is outside of static linking, I think with LTO and heavy optimizations you may
stil get a lot of weird quirks. I think the name is "clangify" or something like that, it's up on Sourceware along
with all other glibc forks.

But again this is largely uncharted territory so be prepared to deal with a lot of weird ABI-level bugs, there is
no official support for that fork from any party. I've used Clang to build glibc with dynamic linking successfully
before but the test suite results aren't exactly promising and there's not a lot of effort going into glibc getting
to work with Clang due to its licensing conditions, with some developers putting in more effort into permissive
licensed libcs (ie. Musl and Bionic being two good examples). Contributing to those projects helps a lot more than
untangling the mess that glibc codebase has turned into.

I'll add the obvious disclaimer that this is a just personal opinion of mine etc.

Thanks.