[llvm-dev] RFC: [DebugInfo] Improving Debug Information in LLVM to Recover Optimized-out Function Parameters

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 8 07:14:28 PST 2019

It's fantastic to see this happening! It'll be really nice to start
seeing some DWARF 5 feature work (as opposed to the infrastructure
stuff, which has its own benefits but doesn't help the end-user's
debugging experience).  A couple of questions below.
--paulr

Do you think we could build on this to offer entry_value location list
entries, if the value is lost (e.g., register is reused) before the parameter
is modified within the callee?

>     By looking at whether an argument is modified in the function, you can
> identify variables that can be described with an entry value location and
> that entry value would be valid throughout the function. Are you using
> this information in the function body to identify whether to emit an entry
> value location, or are you using this information at the call site to
> identify call sites for which call site parameters would be beneficial (or
> both)?
>
>     Is emitting an entry value location in the function body an either-or
> thing or do you also emit plain old locations if you have them available
> in the location list together with the entry values?
>
>     In the function, I assume you don't know whether all call sites will
> have call site parameters. How do you decide whether to emit entry value
> locations?
>
> Entry value location is added to same conventional location list. We emit
> them when we see holes in the coverage, looking at the whole function
> scope. It is used by the debugger when there is no conventional location
> for a program range.  It is reported by the debugger as   “<optimized-
> out>, @entry  = <value at call site>”.
> Unmodified argument is a sub-set for which debugger can report  @entry
> value is same as actual value. So, it will not be reported as optimized-
> out.
> We generate entry value location whenever  conventional does not cover one
> hundred percent. We generate call-site information when the call-site
> parameter values can be evaluated by unwinding to the parent frame. Only
> debugger can tell if look-up of an entry value finds matching call site
> and call site parameter.

Is the idea to use DW_OP_entry_value in a default-location list entry?
I think we do not emit those currently, but it seems like an ideal match
for an unmodified formal parameter.