[llvm-dev] [EXT] Re: [RFC] arm64_32: upstreaming ILP32 support for AArch64

Eli Friedman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 6 13:29:30 PST 2019

Like you say, I'm pretty sure the problems you mentioned are solvable.  And you don't actually have to solve every possible inefficiency to get a usable result; it's not the end of the world if we emit an unnecessary zero extension somewhere.

But maybe modifying the DAG to allow pointers in 64-bit registers which correspond to 32-bit values in memory isn't too horrible.  It's probably not even that much code; we don't synthesize very many pointer load/store operations in SelectionDAG.  I'm mostly worried that you'll continue to discover new issues forever because nobody else has a target that differs in that particular dimension.  Maybe we'll get ILP32 ABIs for more targets that will use this functionality in the future, though.

-Eli