[llvm-dev] Removing deprecated <ext/hash_set>, <ext/hash_map> and <ext/__hash>

Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 5 14:31:04 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 02:31:54PM -0500, Louis Dionne via llvm-dev wrote:
> Libc++ has been shipping the <ext/hash_set>, <ext/hash_map> and
> <ext/__hash> headers for a while and they are deprecated. Those headers
> contain data structures like __gnu_cxx::hash_map that have replacements
> like std::unordered_map. I would like to remove those headers. I've put
> up a patch for review but I won't commit it until we have a sort of plan
> because I know some people have expressed feelings about removing the
> headers in the past: https://reviews.llvm.org/D57688 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D57688>.

You haven't said anything about *why* they should be removed. Seriously,
removal just creates a maintainance burden for little to no reason. As
with many other such proposals: the burden is not on your shoulder, but
on maintainers of build systems like pkgsrc, ports or the like. It's
nice that things get deprecated. But changing existing software is a lot
of effort, esp. when it is no longer actively maintained.

Joerg