[llvm-dev] Variable names rule

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 4 08:10:42 PST 2019

On 04.02.19 15:20, via llvm-dev wrote:
> I'd much rather have a convention that did not treat all "variables" the
> same. Instead, distinguish variable names based on scope/lifetime;

While it's not a very strong opinion, I'm actually fond of the fact that
they're the same.

The reason is that when you're implementing passes, whether a variable
is local to the current method or a member of the class is really not a
very meaningful distinction, and it's convenient to be able to change
the scope occasionally as part of refactorings.

IDEs are very good at jumping to variable declarations if there's any doubt.

Cheers,
Nicolai

> for
> example, it's common practice (outside of LLVM) for class data members
> to have a different/variant convention (trailing underscore, leading
> "m_") because that data all has a scope/lifetime far beyond the current
> method.  Local variables and function parameters, by contrast, have
> comparatively limited scope.  With no immediate visual clue to the
> difference, I find myself spending a fair amount of time paging around
> the source and trolling through headers trying to work out which is
> what.  That is: I find the current convention not very readable.
>
> So, I'm quite happy to have camelCase for variables, but would also like
> some other distinction within the universe of variable names.
>
> Of course any change to existing conventions would cause some churn and
> confusion, but we *already* have that, as the current nominal
> conventions aren't in place in the entire codebase.
>
> Regarding snake_case, LLVM has very limited use of that, and only for
> things that are (a) substitutes or (b) extensions of STL features.
> "iterator_range" for example.  camelCase predominates.
>
> --paulr

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.