[llvm-dev] [RFC] arm64_32: upstreaming ILP32 support for AArch64

Eli Friedman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 1 11:25:05 PST 2019

I was thinking of a model something like this: 32-bit pointers are addrspace 0, 64-bit pointers are addrspace 1.  ISD::LOAD/STORE in addrspace 0 are not legal: they're custom-lowered to operations in addrspace 1.  (An addrspacecast from 0 to 1 is just zero-extension.)  At that point, since the cast from 32 bits to 64 bits is explicitly represented, we can optimize it in the DAG or IR. For example, we can transform a load of an inbounds gep in addrspace 0 into to a load of an inbounds gep in addrspace 1.

I don't know that this ends up being easier to implement overall, but the model is closer to what the hardware actually supports, and it involves fewer changes to target-independent code.

-Eli