[llvm-dev] [RFC] How to manifest information in LLVM-IR, or, revisiting llvm.assume

John McCall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 18 10:02:35 PST 2019

On 18 Dec 2019, at 11:28, Doerfert, Johannes wrote:

> [...]
>>>        encoding patterns that introduce extra instructions and uses and
>>>        which we need to preserve and decode later.
>>>      - Allows dynamic properties even when corresponding attributes do
>>>        not, e.g., `llvm.assume() ["align"(%arg_ptr, %N)]` is fine and
>>>        once `%N` becomes a constant, or we determine a lower bound, we
>>>        can introduce the `align(C)` attribute for `%arg_ptr`.
>>>
>>> 2) Outline assumption expression code (with side-effects).
>>>   If we potentially have side-effects, or we simply have a non-trivial
>>>   expression that requires to be lowered into instructions, we can
>>>   outline the assumption expression code and tie it to the
>>>   `llvm.assume` via another operand bundle property. It could look
>>>   something like this:
>>>     `__builtin_assume(foo(i) == bar(j));`
>>>   will cause us to generate
>>>     ```
>>>     /// Must return true!
>>>     static bool llvm.assume.expression_#27(int i, int j) {
>>>       return foo(i) == bar(j);
>>>     }
>>>     ```
>>>   and a `llvm.assume` call like this:
>>>     `llvm.assume() ["assume_fn"(@llvm.assume.expression_#27, %i, %j))]
>>>   So we generate the expression in a new function which we (only) tie to
>>>   the `llvm.assume()` through the "assume_fn" operand bundle. This will
>>>   make sure we do not accidentally evaluate the code, or assume it is
>>>   evaluated and produced side-effects. We can still optimize the code
>>>   and use the information that we learn from it at the `llvm.assume`
>>>   site though.
>>
>> I think outlining is abstractly very promising, but I’m worried about
>> it impacting existing optimizations:
>>
>> - It’s won’t be obvious at all from the IR that the predicate function
>>   is dead code.  It would be a shame if we ended up emitting the predicate
>>   function, or some global only it references, because we didn’t delete
>>   all the llvm.assume calls early enough to recognize that it was dead.
>
> So, we already "delete" llvm.assume and its operands in the backends.
> Having a dedicated middle-end pass to do that which also deletes the
> associated "assume_fn" doesn't seem hard or complicated to set up.
>
> Worst case (which I really don't think would ever happen), we emit the
> functions which are internal and never referenced. The linker should
> strip them.
>

>> - Anything passed to the predicate function will by default look like it
>>   escapes.  This is particularly true if the predicate takes local
>>   variables by references, which is the easiest and most straightforwardly
>>   correct way for frontends to emit these predicates.  So this will block
>>   basic memory analyses (including mem2reg!) unless they’re taught to
>>   remove or rewrite assumptions.
>
> Partially true and we already have that problem though.
>
> Mem2reg, and others, might need to know about llvm.assume uses but I
> fail to see why they need to rewrite much (in the short therm). The
> frontend generated code would naturally look like this:

I disagree; the natural way to generate this code in frontends will
actually be to take the variable by reference.  We can, of course, make
frontends smart enough to take the variable by value if it’s
obviously only loaded from in the expressions, but if the optimizers
still aren’t generally aware of the intrinsic, that will just mean
that assumptions pessimize slightly more abstracted code.

For example, if I had this:

```
  Clang::QualType type = …;
  __builtin_assume(!type.hasLocalQualifiers());
```

At a high level, I want to be able to apply mem2reg to the value of
this `QualType`; but at a low level, this method call takes `type`
by reference, and so the predicate function will take it by reference
as well.

> Mem2reg should kick in just fine even if %ptr now has a "unknown" use.
> But that "unknown" use is much less problematic than what we have now
> because the user is the `llvm.assume` call and not some `ptrtoint` which
> is used two steps later in an `llvm.assume.
>
> If you feel I missed a problem here, please let me know.
>

>> Unfortunately, I don’t have a great counter-proposal that isn’t a
>> major project.
>>
>> (The major project is to make the predicates sub-functions within
>> the caller.  This doesn’t fix all the problems, and sub-functions
>> introduce a host of new issues, but they do have the benefit of
>> making the analysis much more obviously intra-procedural.)
>
> I don't think inter-procedural reasoning is a problem or bad. Especially
> here with internal functions that have a single use, it is really not
> hard to make the connection.

It’s certainly not a problem *in theory*.  *In theory* every
intraprocedural analysis can be taught to go interprocedural
into a predicate.

John.