[llvm-dev] Python 2 compatibility for utility scripts

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 17 09:41:10 PST 2019

It sounds like you ran into a bug in the test infrastructure's code to
determine if python3 is supported. Fixing that might be harder, but it only
needs to be fixed once no matter how much more python3 development there
will be.

Right now, most of our scripts were originally written for python 2, so
certainly it's easy for them to support python 2. But, it was a lot of work
by various people to port them all to additionally work in python 3. And,
in the future (or maybe even now), people will be generally be writing
python3 scripts by default rather than python2. Certainly they ought to.

I just don't think it's worthwhile to require all new such scripts to
continue to be written bilingually, unless doing that extra work helps to
serve users.

I'm not at all worried about a hypothetical case where we want to ship a
script that was written for python3 only. Firstly, because that usually
doesn't happen. But if it does, we can port it then, or else we might just
decide it's fine for it to be python3 only.