[llvm-dev] IR inline assembly: the x86 Intel "offset" operator

Eric Astor via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 10 14:01:24 PST 2019

Actually, there's more of a bug here than I realized:

https://godbolt.org/z/fktmVn seems to show that LLVM's current handling of
offset goes wrong with global variables... with a global `int Bar;`, inline
assembly
    mov eax, offset Bar
ends up as
    mov eax, dword ptr [Bar]
which I'm pretty sure is not what's intended here.

I've written LLVM IR that does produce an equivalent result (see the
Compiler Explorer link above), but I'm not sure how to get X86Operand to
produce a direct memory operand... I can't figure out where the memory
constraint gets turned into an indirect memory constraint ("*m"). Anyone
have any leads I can follow?

Thanks,
- Eric