[llvm-dev] How to generate a .ll file with functions' parameter names

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 9 03:00:23 PST 2019

Hi Alberto,

Note that even with this, there isn't necessarily a 1:1 correspondence
between LLVM IR parameters and clang parameters.  For example, a struct
passed by value in a C function may be one IR parameter per field, or
may be packed into an integer large enough to store the whole thing.
Similarly, return values may be indirect via sret pointers or they may
be explicit return values but of a different type (for example, on i386
a return of struct of a pair of int- or pointer-sized values may be
returned as a single i64 in LLVM IR).

It would help to understand what you are trying to do, because there may
be a better way of achieving your goal.

David