[llvm-dev] GC for defsym'd symbols in LLD

Fāng-ruì Sòng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 5 14:17:06 PST 2019

I have made some further investigation. My conclusion is that GNU ld does
not do better than lld. Making the --defsym behavior ideal is difficult in
the current framework.

GNU ld has some unintended behaviors.

ld.bfd a.o --defsym 'd=foo' --gc-sections -o a => GNU ld retains .text_foo
ld.bfd a.o --defsym 'd=foo+3' --gc-sections -o a => GNU ld drops .text_foo
ld.bfd a.o --defsym 'd=bar-bar+foo' --gc-sections -o a => GNU ld drops
.text_foo

I traced its logic under a debugger. Here is the stack trace:

ld/ldlang.c:lang_gc_sections
bfd/elflink.c:bfd_elf_gc_sections
bfd/elflink.c:_bfd_elf_gc_mark_reloc
bfd/elflink.c:_bfd_elf_gc_mark_hook

asection *
_bfd_elf_gc_mark_hook (asection *sec,
  case bfd_link_hash_defined:
  case bfd_link_hash_defweak:
    // It points to .text_foo for --defsym d=foo, but *ABS* for --defsym
d=bar-bar+foo or --defsym d=foo+3
    return h->root.u.def.section;

GNU ld evaluates symbol assignments in many passes, the representation of a
symbol (section+offset) can vary among passes.
In the GC pass, its rule only works for simple expressions like --defsym
d=foo, but not any slightly complex expressions.

In lld, it would be difficult to drop the following rule in MarkLive.cpp:

  for (StringRef s : script->referencedSymbols)
    markSymbol(symtab->find(s));

The issue can be demonstrated by the following call tree:

LinkerDriver::link
  markLive
    resolveReloc
      // Defined::section is nullptr for `d` because the assignment d=foo
hasn't been evaluated yet.
  writeResult
    Writer<ELFT>::run
      Writer<ELFT>::finalizeSections
        LinkerScript::processSymbolAssignments
          // Symbol section+offset are evaluated here.

It seems that github issues may be a good place to record the problem. I
just created https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/52
I wanted to mark it low priority, but there is no such label.

--
宋方睿