[llvm-dev] [RFC] High-Level Code-Review Documentation Update

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 2 17:23:36 PST 2019

On 12/2/19 10:05 AM, David Blaikie wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:52 PM Philip Reames
> <listmail at philipreames.com <mailto:listmail at philipreames.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mehdi, David,
>
>     I think you're both pointing out exceptions rather than the
>     general rule.  I tried to indicate their might be reasonable
>     exceptions (see the second sentence past Mehdi's quote), but in
>     general, particularly for new contributors, I think it is
>     important we indicate something to this effect.  I've seen
>     multiple new groups have issues around this.  In some cases,
>     patches were reverted in post review.  In others, a bunch of time
>     was sunk in a direction which turned turned out not to have wide
>     agreement.  Cautioning folks to avoid that is important.
>
>     Do you have any suggestions on wording which keep the broad
>     message, but make it more clear that it isn't a hard and fast rule?
>

> My take on it is that even the broad message isn't how I think of LLVM
> code review practices - if the code owner/domain expert is at your
> company, so be it. If not, that's fine too - I see lots of reviews by
> people at the same company that generally look pretty good & I don't
> think their the exception. I'd personally leave this part out - maybe
> some caveat about not doing internal review & then summarily approving
> externally? But that I think is more the exception than the rule &
> perhaps not worth including in the general practices document. But if
> you've seen several instances of this sort of issue that seem worth
> addressing through this mechanism - yeah, I'd be OK with an
> encouragement to avoid insular project areas where possible
> (especially where there's strong overlap) - seek external/long-term
> contributor input especially on design documents and
> early/foundational patches, and in general err on the side of seeking
> more input from code owners than not. If you ask too often for trivial
> things, that's fine - they should hopefully get to the point where
> they encourage you to contribute directly/stop asking for their
> review/approval. But especially when asking code owners/frequent
> reviewers/contributors for review, be extra sure to make the patches
> small and clear, to have design discussion ahead of time to avoid
> designing in a large unwieldy code review, etc.

Hm, I see your point, but I'm not 100% in agreement.  I'm trying to find
the hair to split, but I'm struggling to find the right one. Let's drop
this for the moment from the initial patch, and I'll try to a rework on
the wording in a separate review.  I don't want to risk further
derailing the overall effort right now.