[llvm-dev] [RFC] High-Level Code-Review Documentation Update

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 2 09:47:56 PST 2019

On 12/2/19 8:52 AM, Hubert Tong via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:46 PM Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev
>
>       3. All comments by reviewers should be addressed by the patch
>     author.
>     It is generally expected that suggested changes will be incorporated
>     into the next revision of the patch unless the author and/or other
>     reviewers can articulate a good reason to do otherwise (and then the
>     reviewers must agree).
>
> I disagree on the high bar here. The author should acknowledge the
> comments; however, addressing all of the comments in one shot has
> similar problems as having commits that are too large (diffs between
> revisions become more difficult to review). This also leads to
> significant timing issues, where the comments made overnight in some
> time zone are addressed by the author locally, but someone added
> comments in the afternoon the next day before the author has a chance
> to post the new revision.

Then the author needs to indicate this explicitly, and except in
exceptional circumstances with an explicit request, should not expect
re-review until comments are addressed.  It's fine to post a new version
of the patch; just not to expect action by reviewers.

I see this one as a major stumbling block for new contributors - i.e.
reviews get stuck because both sides expect the other to be doing
something.  Having it clearly documented is important IMO.