[llvm-dev] [LLVM] (RFC) Addition/Support of new Vectorization Pragmas in LLVM

Terry Greyzck via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 26 12:16:33 PDT 2019

My intent was to present the expected behavior for an "ivdep" pragma
implementation, rather than diving into the implementation details -
that seems like it should be another thread.

That said, trying to predict in the front end what edges will eventually
cause difficulties with automatic vectorization does seem problematic.
Generally "ivdep" is an assist to automatic vectorization; for older
Cray compilers that basically means the front end does nothing but pass
along the "ivdep" property, and dependency analysis for vectorization
uses that property directly.

One thing to remember is that is perfectly valid for the "ivdep" loop
nest to still be rejected as a vector candidate for any reason, so
support for an "ivdep" pragma could be implemented in stages if desired.

Terry