[llvm-dev] [LLVM] (RFC) Addition/Support of new Vectorization Pragmas in LLVM

Terry Greyzck via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 20 12:23:28 PDT 2019

The ivdep pragma is intended to assist automatic vectorization -
basically, automatic vectorization behaves as it normally does, but if
it gets into a spot where it finds a potential dependence, it continues
on rather than rejecting the loop.

Reductions are part of cycle-breaking; one possible way to identify
potential reduction objects is that their address is provably invariant
with respect to the vectorized loop.  Some examples (assume 'i' is the
loop primary induction):

x = x + b[i]
    &x is invariant with respect to the 'i' vector loop, and can be a
reduction candidate

a[0] = a[0] + b[i]
    &a[0] is invariant with respect to the 'i' vector loop, and can be a
reduction candidate

a[ix[i]] = a[ix[i]] + b[i]
    &a[ix[i]] varies with respect to the 'i' vector loop, and is not a
reduction candidate
       *  I am ignoring the end case here where all values of ix[i] are
identical
       *  Without an ivdep, this would be considered a histogram (or
what Cray used to call 'vector update'), due to possible repeated values
in array 'ix'
       *  With an ivdep, this becomes a gather, load and add followed by
a scatter

When outer loop vectorization is considered, identifying vector
reductions becomes somewhat more complicated, and the simple invariant
address test is not always sufficient.  Examples on request, though that
is really a different (and possibly lengthy) discussion.

--
Terry Greyzck  |  Cray Inc.
Sr. Principal Engineer, Compiler Optimization