[llvm-dev] IR Optimization via Opt after clang

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 14 10:01:05 PDT 2019

Clang applies different options to the pass manager builder than opt
does, which may explain the difference in performance.

If LoopUnrolling considered the IR worthy for unrolling, it will
already have been unrolled in wc-O3.ll. It should never unroll an
already unrolled loop again or unroll a loop it did not consider
profitable in a previous run. That is, applying
-disable-loop-unrolling retroactively will have no effect (in the
majority of cases).

Michael