[llvm-dev] Doubt about adding a new instruction

Ajumal Abdul Majeed via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 30 03:18:15 PDT 2019

Hi All,

I am very new to LLVM and want to do the following.

I want a C code to be compiled with clang. The compiled C code is actually
intended to run in a RISCV simulator called spike. I was actually working
with riscv64-unknown-elf-gcc and when I do riscv64-unknown-elf-objdump -dC
a.out > a.dump, The a.dump will have my new instruction line like this.
101a0:   c00017fb            newinstruction  a5

I was using inline assembly code and done some changes in the assembler (as
mentioned in https://nitish2112.github.io/post/adding-instruction-riscv/)
to get the above result, But now I want the instruction to be recognized by
the clang itself and give me the above result.

Kindly give me some suggestion to start and complete this task.

Thank you,
Ajumal