[llvm-dev] Disable combining of loads and stores in instcombine

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 17 09:35:19 PDT 2019

> On Apr 17, 2019, at 5:02 AM, Arsenault, Matthew via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> This won’t happen with volatile load/store

This is mostly true today, but AFAICT the LLVM memory model doesn’t actually offer this guarantee. It merely says that LLVM treats volatile like C / C++ treats volatile… which isn’t much of a guarantee because C / C++ volatile doesn’t normatively mean anything. Specifically, we cannot really honor this when volatile bitfields are used for which memory operations don’t exist:

struct {
  volatile int a : 12;
  volatile int b : 4;
} s;

As things stand, we haven’t promised that we won’t combine adjacent volatile stores, and C / C++ certainly allow us to do so. I don’t think it would be a good idea to do so, but we certainly could.