[llvm-dev] Tool to help hunt down binary size regressions

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 17 07:09:24 PDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 22:11, Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Sometimes I make a change to the compiler that causes a binary size regression and I need to track down where that regression came from. One relatively naive way of doing this is to take two build trees, one compiled with the old compiler and another compiled with the new compiler, and then compare the symbol sizes (st_size) in the final output files in each build tree. The problem with this is that the results can be very noisy, especially if your change is early in the compiler pipeline, since it can tend to affect heuristics used by the inliner to make inlining decisions.
>
> What we really want to see is a size delta that ignores any changes that resulted from different inlining decisions having been made. In the past I've done this by passing -fno-inline when compiling both build trees, but this won't be entirely representative given how important inlining is to optimization. What I later realised was that we can use the relocation list of each section to help identify functions that ended up having the same inlining decisions apply to them -- if a symbol's relocations point to different symbols in the two build trees, it is likely that different inlining decisions were made.
>
> I wrote a quick and dirty tool in Go that takes two build trees and compares the sizes of the symbols in any object files found recursively in the build trees, while ignoring any symbols whose relocations point to different symbols. It can be found here:
> https://github.com/pcc/llvm-project/blob/sym-reloc-sizes/llgo/utils/benchcomp/main.go

You might want to also take a look at the size-info tool from Vedant
Kumar (CCed) <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-September/126501.html>
<https://github.com/vedantk/llvm-project/tree/sizeinfo>

Vedant: do you plan to push size-info upstream?

Best,

Alex