[llvm-dev] [RFC] Changes to llvm.experimental.vector.reduce intrinsics

Simon Pilgrim via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 7 06:56:05 PDT 2019

On 05/04/2019 16:26, Sander De Smalen wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks for your feedback! See my comments inline.
>
>> On 5 Apr 2019, at 09:47, Simon Pilgrim via llvm-dev
>> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:

>>> Do we have any targets with instructions that can actually use the
>>> start value? TBH I'd be tempted to suggest we just make the initial
>>> extractelement/fadd/insertelement pattern a manual extra stage and
>>> avoid having having that argument entirely.
>>>
> ARM SVE has the FADDA instruction for strict fadd reductions (see for
> example test/MC/AArch64/SVE/fadda.s). This instruction takes an
> explicit start-value operand. The reduction intrinsics were originally
> introduced for SVE where we modelled the fadd/fmul reductions with
> this instruction in mind.
>
> Just to clarify, is this what you are suggesting regarding
> extract/fadd/insert?
>
>   %first = extractelement <4 x float> %input, i32 0
>   %first.new = fadd float %start, %first
>   %input.new = insertelement <4 x float> %input, float %first.new, i32 0
>   %red = call float
> @llvm.experimental.vector.reduce.ordered.fadd.f32.v4f32(<4 x float>
> %input.new)
>
> My only reservation here is that LLVM might obfuscate this code so
> that CodeGen couldn't easily match the extract/fadd/insert pattern,
> thus adding the extra fadd instruction. This could for example happen
> if the loop would be rotated/pipelined to load the next iteration and
> doing the first 'fadd' before the next iteration. In such case having
> the extra operand would be more descriptive.

Yes that was the IR I had in mind, but you're right in that its probably
useful for chained fadd reductions as well as the SVE specific
instruction. If we're getting rid of the fast math 'undef' special case
and we expect a 'identity' start value (fadd = 0.0f, fmul = 1.0f) that
we can optimize away then I've no objections.

>>> Won't this cause issues with overflow? Isn't the point  of an add
>>> (or mul....) reduction of say, <64 x i8> giving a larger (i32 or
>>> i64) result so we don't lose anything? I agree for bitop reductions
>>> it doesn't make sense though.
>>>
>> Sorry - I forgot to add: which asks the question - should we be
>> considering signed/unsigned add/mul and possibly saturation reductions?
> The current intrinsics explicitly specify that:
>    "The return type matches the element-type of the vector input"
>
> This was done to avoid having explicit signed/unsigned add reductions,
> reasoning that zero- and sign-extension can be done on the input
> values to the reduction. We had a bit of debate on this internally,
> and it would come down to similar reasons as for the extra 'start
> value' operand to fadd reductions. I think we'd welcome the
> signed/unsigned variants as they would be more descriptive and would
> safeguard the code from transformations that make it difficult to fold
> the sign/zero extend into the operation during CodeGen. The downside
> however is that for signed/unsigned add reductions it would mean that
> both operations are the same when the result type equals the element type.

An alternative would be that we limit the existing add/mul cases to the
same result type (along with and/or/xor/smax/smin/umax/umin) and we add
sadd/uadd/smul/umul extending reductions as well.

> Saturating vector reductions sound sensible, but are there any targets
> that implement these at the moment?
X86/SSE has the v8i16 HADDS/HSUBS horizontal signed saturation
instructions, and X86/XOP has extend+horizontal-add/sub instructions
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XOP_instruction_set).