[llvm-dev] [RFC] Proposal: llvm-tapi, adding YAML/stub generation for ELF linking support

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 27 15:11:46 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 2:42 PM Armando Montanez via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Since the goal is to start llvm-tapi more or less from scratch, I feel
> the best approach initially is to focus on the structure as a key
> point of feedback in initial reviews. Once the foundations are set,
> integrating Mach-O TAPI in parallel with the ELF implementation should
> be relatively straightforward. The features outside of stubbing aren't
> as appealing for ELF, so I probably won't be working on extending that
> functionality. With that being said, the overall design goal is
> generalization/abstraction where possible to welcome feature parity in
> case it is eventually desired. I'm sure we'll run into things that
> belong in the tool but end up being uniquely specialized, and it will
> probably be best to address them on a case-by-case basis.

I'm not very sure what you meant by generalizing it, but given that

1) implementing a text-based ELF stub format is not appealing, and we
probably won't implement, and
2) COFF already has its own (binary) stub format,

I don't see a point of generalizing it. Isn't it just a Mach-O only thing?
If (1) is not true, then maybe we should generalize it, so I think you need
to show evidences that we need a text-based ELF stub format.