[llvm-dev] OptBisect implementation for new pass manager

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 27 07:13:59 PDT 2018

On 09/27/2018 02:18 AM, Kaylor, Andrew wrote:
> We absolutely need to be able to generate executable programs using opt-bisect, so some mechanism for not skipping required passes is needed. It might be nice to have a mode where no passes are skipped and the IR/MIR is dumped when the bisect limit is reached, but I don't see that as a requirement.
Do you expect this dumping functionality to be used directly by users,
or is it going to be fed into some tool?
(implementing something like that should not present any difficulties,
basically it is just a merge of two instrumentations -
print-after=<optbisect-number>)
> Regarding opt-in versus opt-out, I think we want to make this as easy and transparent to pass developers as possible. It would be nice to have the mechanism be opt-out so that passes that were added with no awareness of opt-bisect would be automatically included. However, there is a small wrinkle to this. I can't defend this as a reasonable design choice, but the SelectionDAGISel pass has a sort of hybrid behavior. It can't actually be skipped, but it OptBisect says it should be skipped it drops the optimization level to OptNone. That's a machine function pass, so it doesn't matter so much right now. It's just something to think about.
It does sound like a hack :)
Perhaps it needs a direct integration with OptBisect?

regards,
   Fedor.