[llvm-dev] OptBisect implementation for new pass manager

Philip Pfaffe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 27 02:45:38 PDT 2018

Hi Andrew,

We absolutely need to be able to generate executable programs using
> opt-bisect, so some mechanism for not skipping required passes is needed.
> It might be nice to have a mode where no passes are skipped and the IR/MIR
> is dumped when the bisect limit is reached, but I don't see that as a
> requirement.

At this point it makes no sense to worry about the code generation
pipeline. As long as there is no new-PM design for that, this point is just
moot. Designing opt-bisect against code generation without actually
understanding what we're designing against is guaranteed to produce a bad
architecture. So lets figure out the optimizer bisect first, and
incrementally upgrade that once we've ironed out codegen.

Regarding opt-in versus opt-out, I think we want to make this as easy and
> transparent to pass developers as possible. It would be nice to have the
> mechanism be opt-out so that passes that were added with no awareness of
> opt-bisect would be automatically included. However, there is a small
> wrinkle to this. I can't defend this as a reasonable design choice, but the
> SelectionDAGISel pass has a sort of hybrid behavior. It can't actually be
> skipped, but it OptBisect says it should be skipped it drops the
> optimization level to OptNone. That's a machine function pass, so it
> doesn't matter so much right now. It's just something to think about.
>
> One of the reasons that we combined the optnone handling and the
> opt-bisect handling is that we specifically wanted these two behaviors to
> be linked. The exact rule we would like to use for opt bisect is that no
> pass which runs at O0 is skipped by opt-bisect. There's a test that
> verifies this. Conversely, if a pass is able to respect the optnone
> attribute then it should also be skippable by opt-bisect. Of course, I
> would be open to considering a use case where this reasoning isn't
> desirable.

Mixing OptNone and bisect is a software engineering bug: it's mixing
different layers of abstraction. Bisect is something that's at pass manager
scope: run passes until whatever. OptNone in turn doesn't belong in the
pass manager layer. It only concerns function passes, and crumbles quickly
considering other IRUnits or even codegen. I don't have a clear vision what
OptNone handling should look like, but at this point I consider it entirely
orthogonal to bisect handling.

>From a software architecture perspective I don't see a reason why passes
should even _know_ about something like bisect happening. That is simply
not their domain. If a pass shouldn't be skipped for whatever reason,
that's not something the pass should worry about, that's the bisect
driver's problem! My proposal here would be make it an opt-out design, but
let the driver control that. E.g., for skipping, let the user provide a
list of passes they don't want skipped.

> With regard to there being one OptBisect object per compilation pipeline,
> I have some concerns. Specifically, the behavior of opt-bisect depends on
> the sequence of passes run before the limit is reached being consistent and
> repeatable. My inclination would be to not allow parallel compilation when
> opt-bisect is enabled.

I don't have a strong opinion here, but just as a data point: my mental
model here is to expect bisect to expect a deterministic outcome _per
module_. That model isn't threatened by parallel execution.

Cheers,
Philip