[llvm-dev] Risc-V 64: unable to lowerGlobalAddress

David Jones via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 20 18:06:42 PDT 2018

I am trying to retarget my application to a Risc-V 64-bit core.

I downloaded LLVM 7.0.0 release today, and built LLVM+Clang for both x86_64
and Risc-V.

Alas, I have hit a snag: given a simple test program:

extern int foo;
int *getfoo() { return &foo; }

I try to compile:

/tools/llvm/7.0.0dbg/bin/clang test.c -c -o test.o
--target=riscv64-unknown-elf

and I get:

fatal error: error in backend: Unable to lowerGlobalAddress
clang-7: error: clang frontend command failed with exit code 70 (use -v to
see invocation)
clang version 7.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_700/final)
Target: riscv64-unknown--elf
Thread model: posix

Is the 64-bit Risc-V target stable? Or do I require a specific set of flags
(e.g. relocation model)?