[llvm-dev] Function calls keep increasing the stack usage

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 17 13:38:20 PDT 2018

> On Sep 17, 2018, at 1:30 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 1:27 PM Matthias Braun via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
> - Questions like this are better suited for bugs.llvm.org <http://bugs.llvm.org/>
>
> Not sure - I think it's pretty fine for discussion here, when someone's not sure it's a bug/intended, etc.
>
> - Please provide the full clang invocation. In this case I suspect your problem will go away if you use `-O2` or similar.
>
> Right, I think the original post calls this out as specifically being about -O0.
Ah sorry, missed that bit.

It's a bit harder to argue about unoptimize/-O0 code quality. If you can improve the generated code without making the compiler slower (and without increasing complexity) then that may be a change we want to make, but generally we rather want fast/simple code for the -O0 case.
Concrete case here does indeed come out with dead values out of fast-isel. Deciding whether this can be improved inside fast-isel or whether adding a dead code elimination pass will affect compile time would need someone to investigate/benchmark...

- Matthias