[llvm-dev] [FPEnv] FNEG instruction

Kevin Neal via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 11 11:45:44 PDT 2018

Which exactly was the plan?

Add a new, regular instruction?

Add a new constrained math intrinsic?

Both?

Andrew Kaylor made a good point here:

  *   As I said, all LLVM IR FP instructions are //assumed// to have no side effects. I'm not sure we want an instruction that goes beyond this to be //defined// as having no side effects. It adds a complication to the language and introduces restrictions on the code generator that aren't needed in the ordinary case of non-constrained FP.  The target code generators are free to do anything they want with the other FP instructions, including things that introduce new FP status flags being set that otherwise wouldn't be, and for the normal case the back ends should be free to do that with fneg as well.

Personally, I’m not sure I like the idea of having exceptions to the rule that FP instructions also have constrained versions. So I lean towards having both a regular FNEG and a constrained version.

But I think I remember pushback. I can’t put my fingers on the message, though.

--
Kevin P. Neal
SAS/C and SAS/C++ Compiler