[llvm-dev] GN build roundtable summary; adding GN build files to the repo

Kristina Brooks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 31 18:34:39 PDT 2018

Hi,

Well I mean it's not anything as drastic, I was excited to try it but then I
realized I'd need to fiddle with toolchain stuff to get it to work since it was
trying to use g++ instead of my normal toolchain.

c++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wstring-conversion’
c++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wcovered-switch-default’
[24/2053] ACTION //llvm/include/llvm/Config:config(//gn/toolchain:posix)

But it's perfectly doable though I don't think CMake should be phased out and
sadly I think if GN does become popular, that's ultimately what's going to
happen and I think there may be pressure from Chromium teams later on,

Just a personal opinion, GN is cool, is it worth losing contributors over
it as well as some degree of downstream support? Probably not. A lot of big stuff
like GitHub move is coming up, I mean, if Nico or anyone else wants to maintain
them for people who know how to use this, I think it's best done out of tree,
possibly on one of the Chromium open source hubs.

Including it in upstream is just going to cause issues, at least in my opinion,
and will lead to endless discussions and arguments.

Not sure what else to say to be honest and thanks for reading what I had to say.
- Kristina