[llvm-dev] RFC Process

Kristina Brooks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 30 13:13:18 PDT 2018

Just wanted to voice my opinion on the matter, I think mailing lists
can be fine for RFCs but very often they get ignored or simply get one
or two replies disagreeing with the idea, which basically makes for the
whole consensus.

Currently it feels like the only viable way of actually proposing something
is having a diff up on Phabricator for review, with an already finished
implementation, which is entirely not the point of RFCs. I'm not sure I have
a better suggestion but possibly a section on Phabricator for RFC reviews
similar to pre-commit reviews would be a nicer alternative.

At least that has generally been my experience, with using the mailing lists
for this and a rather frustrating one since drafting a proposal takes time
and it's frustrating when it just gets almost no attention. I think Phab
as an alternative would be an excellent idea if it's possible to make it
separate from the pre-commit review section but in the same format, and allow
for more discussion to take place.

Thank you.