[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] LLVM C++14/C++17 BoF - Summary

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 23 22:42:42 PDT 2018

> On 23 Oct 2018, at 03:23, JF Bastien via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 20, 2018, at 7:37 AM, Brian Cain <brian.cain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018, 4:36 PM JF Bastien via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 19, 2018, at 11:27 AM, via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, there was agreement that the default gcc for recent-but-not-latest distros was not important? That is, it's okay to require people to upgrade their tools in order to work with LLVM?
>>>
>>> In my team's case, a lot of us are on Ubuntu 16.04 which comes with gcc 5.4, which is not gcc 7.  And currently for Windows we're on MSVC 2015.
>>> I suppose by March we can persuade our IT to upgrade all the people and bots to Ubuntu 18.04 (gcc 7.3?) and deploy MSVC 2017.  But it's something we need to plan for.
>>> (I suppose I should thank the Google folks for being such slugs J about being ready to switch, because it will give us time to get things organized for ourselves.)
>>
>> The discussion from folks using Linux as well as from Linux vendors was that distros which come with older versions of GCC also provide easy ways to install newer versions of GCC, without upgrading the distro.
>>

>> Does it help if we build llvm+clang release tarballs for more Linux distros?   If so, I'm willing to help out there.
>
> Maybe? Nobody chimed in saying that they were bootstrapping LLVM and would have liked an easy download instead. Not that there isn’t need! It simply wasn’t voiced in the rather small audience.

I would have loved to be in that conversation, but once we’ve moved to a monorepo, then bootstrapping could be a matter of writing a script that comes with the git repository, which could build clang+llvm+… from a set of tags “known good”, which will do a two-step bootstrapped build of the compiler(s).

Saying that, I’m happy with the outcome of this discussion and look forward to being able to use C++17 features in the project (and potentially auto-converting some code to use C++17 idioms too)!

Cheers

-- Dean