[llvm-dev] [RFC] Enable thread specific cl::opt values for multi-threaded support

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 22 00:49:59 PDT 2018

On 21.10.18 23:56, mbraun via llvm-dev wrote:
> As I just noted in the review: I wonder about the motivation for this,
> if we find that cl::opts are not just used as debug flags for users,
> then we really should rather find ways to expose proper APIs through
> things like TargetOptions.h or function/module attributes. It would
> certainly help the discussion if you could describe what motivated you
> to do the patch in the first place.

The toughest problems arise for us when Mesa (i.e., OpenGL drivers that
use LLVM as a shader compiler backend) is used inside an application
that itself uses LLVM.

The application may be setting options in LLVM for whatever reason,
which then affects compilation of shaders in Mesa. That's a pretty Bad
Thing.

Cheers,
Nicolai

> [...]
>>     >     options (instances of cl::opt). In other words, the options are
>>     >     global and cannot be changed for one thread and left
>>     unchanged for
>>     >     the others.
>>     >
>>     >     One solution I propose in the patch
>>     >
>>     > https://reviews.llvm.org/D53424Enable thread specific cl::opt
>>     >     values for multi-threaded support
>>     >
>>     >     As the change affects many source files (though slightly) I
>>     >     decided to share it with wider audience. Any less intrusive
>>     >     solution is welcome.
>>     >
>>     >     Here is the patch description for your convenience:
>>     >
>>     >     ===
>>     >
>>     >     When several threads compile different modules the compiler
>>     >     options (instances of cl::opt) cannot be set individually
>>     for each
>>     >     thread. That is because the options are visible to all
>>     threads. In
>>     >     other words all options are global.
>>     >
>>     >     It would be convenient if the options were specific to
>>     LLVMContext
>>     >     and they were accessed through an instance of LLVMContext. This
>>     >     kind of change would need changes in all source files where
>>     >     options are used.
>>     >
>>     >     This patch proposes a solution that needs minimal changes in
>>     LLVM
>>     >     source base.
>>     >
>>     >     It is proposed to have a thread local set of re-defined option
>>     >     values mapped by pointers to options.
>>     >
>>     >     Specifically, every time a program gets/sets a value for an
>>     option
>>     >     it is checked if the current thread local context is set for the
>>     context.
>>     >     If so the local copy of the option is accessed, otherwise the
>>     >     global option is accessed. For all programs that existed so far
>>     >     the context is not set and they work with the global
>>     options. For
>>     >     new multi-threaded compilers (where every thread compiles
>>     its own
>>     >     module) every thread can be linked to its own context (see
>>     >     ContextValues) where any option can have its thread specific
>>     value
>>     >     that do not affect the other threads' option values. See the
>>     >     thread_routine() in the test ContextSpecificValues2.
>>     >
>>     >     This feature allows a configuration flexibility for
>>     multi-threaded
>>     >     compilers that can compile every compilation unit in its own
>>     >     thread with different command line options.

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.