[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 18 11:32:42 PDT 2018

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 17:40, Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > compiler-rt tests strongly depend on clang version.
> Right, as at the same libcxx might not compile with "old" clang due to
> fixes here and there. Still, we could implement this coupling using
> the version check (and some version-to-version compatibility
> contract).

Right, that is the point I was going to make: version check for
libraries make a lot more sense, because they *can* be used with other
compilers and we should encourage that.

My worry about those libraries is that we took a long time and effort
to split them as they are because of too many crossed dependencies
(the infamous libunwind problem), but I'd also be perfectly fine if
all of them were in the same repo.

Not that RT depends on libcxx or vice-versa, but both depend strongly
on libunwind and they're all "run-time libraries".

Just like clang, lld and lldb on the monorepo, people can just build
what they need, even if they check-out everything, and all four RT
libs are small enough to not matter.

I don't mind, either way. Not professing strong opinions, just trying
to understand what the proposal really is.

> This is certainly not possible with lld / lldb /
> clang-tools-extras.

I don't know enough about lld and lldb to have an opinion neither I
mind those in the monorepo.

--
cheers,
--renato