[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 12 11:17:44 PDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 1:50 PM David Greene via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 at 17:48, Andrew Kelley <superjoe30 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> In practice, after about one release cycle, most of the activity would
> take place in the new system.
> >
> > You'd be surprised how many 4-year-old bugs I had to deal with...
>
> I hear you.  :)
>
> I know we don't want to get distracted with this but a good compromise
> solution might be to only migrate active bugs to GitHub and keep
> Bugzilla for legacy bug searches.  I certainly have used Bugzilla to
> search resolved bugs so we don't want to lose that information

No. There cannot be a migration which involves switching away from bugzilla
but still requires keeping an up-to-date, secure, patched, bugzilla
installation running forever. It's hard work to keep services running, they
don't just run themselves, and doing so for legacy reference only is not
going to work.

Either we keep actively using bugzilla, or we have a plan which culminates
in being able to turn it off without unacceptable loss of data.

> I absolutely think GitHub's bug/PR integration is worth the cost of

transition.

We do not need to migrate issue tracking in order to use PRs. Those are two
entirely distinct things.

If anyone wants to propose issue tracker migration, please write up an
entirely separate proposal. We're _definitely_ not going to do it as part
of the VCS repository migration.