[llvm-dev] OptBisect implementation for new pass manager

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 4 02:26:19 PDT 2018

On 10/04/2018 12:58 AM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev wrote:
> Sorry I'm late to the thread (conference + vacation delayed me). I've
> tried to skim the thread, but haven't found too much real conclusions
> to a few points I'd like to make. If any of the below re-hashes stuff
> that was already covered, my apologies and feel free to just mention
> by whom or what date and I'll read more carefully.
>

> I feel like the design of this is made unnecessarily complex and could
> be simplified in a few ways. These all stem from a key aspect of
> bisection: this is a *development* activity. It doesn't have to hit
> some specific quality bar the way that `optnone` and -O0 (which are
> both exposed to users) need to....
>
> Some immediate simplifications:
>
> 1) I don't think we need to go out of our way to connect the IR pass
> bisection (in the new PM) with codegen's IR pass bisection. We already
> have two tools (`opt` and `llc` and can drive them separately IMO).
Definitely agreed.

> 2) I also don't think we need the subtle *correctness* guarantees of
> `optnone` which really and truly IMO require *passes* to make the
> decision rather than some abstract pass pipeline system.
>
> 3) I think we really do want high *resolution* of bisection even if it
> isn't 100% functional. Let's imagine that this skips a "necessary"
> pass for some behavior. The IR will still be valid, and this step of
> bisection can still be very useful for reducing crashes and assert
> failures.
Chandler, I think you've missed a really key use case here.  The primary
use case many of us have for opt-bisect is specifically reducing
miscompiles, not crashes.  Compiler crashes are generally fairly easy to
reduce with bugpoint.  Where we need opt-bisect is when trying to
isolate something which can't be effectively reduced with bugpoint.
Continuing to produce runnable code during reduction is a key feature
since it's the only way we can judge whether a given transform was
correct or not.

My typical workflow for opt-bisect looks something like the following:
given a determinism java program whose result differs from golden output
identify which method is miscompiled by delta reducing over compilation
decisions (out of scope for opt-bisect)
while (still producing wrong answer)  { reduce opt-bisect limit }

My point here is that I really don't think we can disregard the notion
of required passes.  They're key to the use case.

Your point about doing a more fine grained reduction (e.g. something
like a delta reduce over the set of transforms instead of simply a
bisection) I agree would be a very useful enhancement.

> 4) I believe we can re-use the debug counter infrastructure that did
> not exist when OptBisect was first introduced rather than rolling a
> custom version. It's possible there are use cases this cannot handle,
> but it might be worth trying to avoid inventing another thing here.
>
> Given the above, I'd really be interested in seeing how far we can get
> with a simple debug counter wired up to the new instrumentation
> framework, and nothing more. Could we get that working? Can we see
> where that would be genuinely insufficient for developers (as opposed
> to simply producing a slightly different workflow or command sequence)?
>

> Regarding #2 which is I think the most surprising thing... Keep in
> mind that *after* we finish bisection, we can still run some minimal
> second set of passes in order to generate "correct" code. Also, I
> believe debug counters has the ability to disable only for a range of
> counts and then re-enable. Well designed bisection test scripts should
> be able to preserve and/or synthesize the necessary bits to keep IR
> "working" for whatever constraints a particular reduction has.
Running a bunch of separate post processing scripts is incompatible with
my use case.  It could be made to work, but only with a lot of currently
unnecessary complexity.