[llvm-dev] UTF-8 conversion speed

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 2 14:27:22 PDT 2018

At CPPcon last week, I saw a talk by Bob Steagall called
"Fast Conversion From UTF-8 with C++, DFAs, and SSE Intrinsics."
Part of this talk included data from a half-dozen or so conversion
libraries... one of which was labeled "LLVM".

The LLVM converters were invariably the slowest.
On Windows, the mbtowc (or something like that) syscall was pretty good.

Steagall's converters were of course wicked fast, even before he started
playing tricks with SSE intrinsics.  I found his stuff at the following
link (note CppNow not CppCon) if anyone is interested in following up.

https://github.com/BobSteagall/CppNow2018/tree/master/FastConversionFromUTF-8

--paulr