[llvm-dev] [RFC] No longer look up bugpoint tools in PATH?

Brian Gesiak via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 30 06:27:23 PST 2018

Hello all,

Earlier this week I sent up https://reviews.llvm.org/D54884, which changes
how bugpoint finds executables it relies upon to reduce programs.
Specifically:

- Before: bugpoint would only look for 'opt' in the user's PATH
- After: bugpoint looks for 'opt' in the user's PATH, and if it doesn't
find it, looks for 'opt' in the same directory as the bugpoint executable

I made this change because it saves me keystrokes: I always use bugpoint
from a source build, and so it's always placed in a build directory next to
opt. By searching there, I no longer need to pass it the --opt-command
option. I noticed that tools like Clang & lld behave this way as well.

On the patch Davide Italiano mentions that he's always found it strange
that bugpoint looks in the PATH at all! So I'm wondering: should I modify
my patch to change bugpoint's behavior, and no longer have it look up tools
like 'opt' in the user PATH? On the one hand, I think people like Davide
would find this more intuitive. On the other, I notice bugpoint also relies
on tools like valgrind, which are typically not placed in the same build
folder as LLVM tools, so those might be harder to look up and find.

I'm looking for people who use bugpoint regularly to respond with their own
examples and use cases, to better inform me about how bugpoint should
behave. Please let me know which PATH lookup behavior makes the most sense
to you!

Thanks!

- Brian Gesiak