[llvm-dev] [RFC] Checking inline assembly for validity

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 26 13:42:26 PST 2018

This sort of verification definitely seems interesting. However, many of
the checks you've added look like they'll have false positives in perfectly
valid inline-asm. IMO, a warning for incorrect inline-asm is only going to
be useful if can avoid triggering on correct code -- it should trigger only
when it's can be _certain_ that there's an error.

Some examples of where this can go wrong in your current patch:
- This will warn if you write to a hardcoded register without having marked
it clobbered. But that's perfectly valid if you've first copied the old
value somewhere (which, I'll note, also requires reading the register which
is not declared as an input!), and then restore it before leaving the
inline-asm. You might be able to salvage this warning by only warning on a
write to an arbitrary register if there hasn't previously been a read of
that register (on the assumption that the read might have saved it).
- This triggers on store instructions without having either declared an
output memory operand or marked memory as clobbered. But it's valid to
store to memory, so long as you aren't writing to memory which is
accessible to the compiler. A special case of that is writing to the stack
(as you've noted in your test-case), but it applies just as well to other
inaccessible memory as well.
- Some instructions may not have their effects fully described, when
they're not generated by the compiler. In fact, some may not be _able_ to
be described (e.g. the syscall/trap/software-interrupt instruction might
read or write any registers). You'll probably need to just give up any
dataflow-sensitive analysis if you see one of these.
- As you noted, as soon as there's any control flow, you're giving
incorrect warnings. Again just giving up on any dataflow-sensitive warnings
might make sense here.

Also, what happens to the substitution-tracking and analysis when there's a
macro call (or even definition)? Is this getting data pre- or post-
assembly-macro expansion?