[llvm-dev] My mail about having failed to generae LLVM project files?

Brian Cain via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 24 20:50:23 PST 2018

I generally find that the most useful thing to debug cmake failures is the
stdout/stderr output from cmake and the options passed to the cmake
invocation itself.

For example:

cmake -G Ninja -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS="clang;lld;compiler-rt" 2>&1 | tee
output.log

... note that this works on bash and bash-like shells but will not work on
the CMD shell.  I don't know an equivalent for that shell, either.  Maybe
`cmake ... > out.log 2>&1` will work there.

In general, the most common things to fail in my experience are the feature
tests for the host compiler+toolchain.  CMake usually emits a reasonably
clear failure message.  You may need to scroll back to see it because
sometimes it emits so much after the critical failure that you miss it.
That's also why those redirects are handy.  If that message from cmake is
not explicit enough about the failure, only then do I resort to digging
through the CMakeError.log / CMakeOutput.log.  Without knowing which tests
"should" fail, it's not obvious which parts of CMakeError.log to care about.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 4:45 PM Osman Zakir via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Sorry to be sending another email about the same thing, but I really need
> some help on this.  I tried to use CMake 3.13.0 to generate VS2017 project
> files for LLVM, after checking out what I wanted to build from the trunk
> using SVN, but I couldn't generate any project files.  I'm attaching
> CMakeError.log and CMakeOutput.log to this message.
>
> I checked out LLVM, Clang, Extra Clang Tools, LLD, Polly Loop Optimizer,
> Compiler-RT, Libomp, libcxx and libcxxabi.

-Brian