[llvm-dev] [RFC] SimplifyCFG block speculation is a horribly inconsistent mess

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 15 11:07:17 PST 2018

On 11/15/2018 10:23 AM, John Brawn via llvm-dev wrote:

>   * Any other ideas for how to make this less of a horrible mess?

My opinion is that we should rewrite it. And not the speculation part,
but the whole thing.

The first problem is that there is really no clear description of that
this pass does. "Simplify CFG" is a catch-all term that includes every
little change that could be argued to simplify things in certain
circumstances, and this has lead to what we have now. We should specify
what the callers can expect to happen. "Expect the CFG to be simplified"
is not an adequate specification. This is not a pass where we should be
making frequent changes, since anything that happens here can have far
reaching consequences.

There are certain types of CFG transformations that are needed more
frequently, like folding a branch to a branch, or eliminating empty
blocks (as long as it doesn't damage loop structure). At the same time,
things like generating switch statements is not something that needs to
be attempted every time. Subtypes of CFG optimizations should be
identified (e.g. cleanups, aggressive branch elimination, etc.) and
there should be a parameter by which the caller would indicate which of
these optimization groups should be run.

The recursive algorithm is not the best choice here. For a graph like a
CFG, the entire structure of it is important.  With the recursive nature
of the code it can impossible to predict what it's going to do on any
given graph, or determine why something predicted didn't actually
happen. The algorithm should have a clear structure: first X happens,
then Y, etc.

We should motivate the CFG simplification by what makes subsequent
optimizations easier to implement and what exposes more opportunities to
them, instead of "what helps my benchmark".  Maybe targets should have
hooks to perform specific modifications of the graph that may or may not
be good for everyone.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation