[llvm-dev] RFC: Dealing with out of tree changes and the LLVM git monorepo

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 6 12:03:23 PST 2018

That would be somewhat tricky to implement in the svn conversion pipeline,
as the current process is not based on, and does not interact in any way
with the "split" svn2git-based repository generation process. It would
require linking or merging the two processes.

I'd have to:
1. Ensure I have an updated set of svn2git repositories with the correct
hashes for the newest commit, by either:
 a. Integrating the svn2git generation pipeline and the monorepo generation
pipeline together.
 b. Polling the github/git.llvm.org repositories waiting for the required
commits to appear in all the right projects.
2. After getting the finished svn2git hashes, extract the new mappings, and
pass that into the monorepo conversion script.

On the other hand, modifying migrate-downstream-fork.py to put the original
hash into the description for the git-only (NON-upstream-svn) commits would
be easy. Having the original hash in the description for those git-only
commits might be 95% of the value for people anyways?